Wednesday, August 01, 2007

(hand-pulled prints from Barbara Burton's moth series)
I think you should meet some of our talented local artists. We feel really fortunate to have Barbara Burton teaching with us this fall. She is a print maker, bookbinder and painter. The first time I heard about Barbara was about 10+ years ago when a friend of mine and I ran out for lunch to see a group show at a nearby gallery. There was a great print with an equally interesting title: I Need a Good Mechanic that Barbara had done and my friend purchased. I kept crossing paths with Barbara in various art circles over the years which culminated in us having a 2-person show in few years ago. It was amusing how the gallery coordinator informed me about the show. She said that there was this other artist--Barbara Burton--and our art would really work well together. She asked me if I knew her--and of course I did and our show went off without a hitch. Her landscape paintings are now on exhibition at Tempe City Hall. You can see more of her work at her site http://www.bburtonart.com/. Barbara will be teaching the solar plate etching workshop with us this fall. The images above incorporate the solar plate techniques.